Gavin Whitsett wrote the book,, Guerilla Kindness, and was the father of the Random Acts of Kindness movement. Whitsett said that he wanted to remind people of the kind impulses that all of us had. In a world that is often rude and unkind, it’s nice to have the reminder.
The Bible also reminds us of the importance of kindness. Micah said in answer to the question, “What does God require of you?” Do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God, Micah 6:8.
In today’s sermon we began a list deeds that are expressions of kindness. All of these deeds require attention and determination, and they do not occur by accident. Below is a beginning list of suggested kind deeds. Kindness, by its nature, is otherly. What would you add to the list?
- Listening attentively to others and not dominating the conversation.
- Giving money to people who need it.
- Showing concern about the problems others are having.
- Asking appropriate questions: How are you?, How did that affect you?, What can I do to help?, etc.
- Sacrificing time and energy for others
- Cooking food and sharing it with others
- Sending a card to someone expressing interest, love, or condolence
- Introducing yourself to someone you don’t know
- Sharing clothing, furniture, dishes, and other things with people in need
Use the comment button below and add your kindness ideas to the list.